iCloud is one of the Apple services you can enjoy when you use Apple products. It is their cloud storage and cloud computing service which lets users securely store photos, videos, documents, bookmarks, and more on their device. iCloud not only helps you in storing your data but also keeps them up-to-date to enable you to easily share your data with your family and friends. Having said that, you don’t need to wonder why the iCloud account setup is important to you as an iOS device user. However, we will still let you know more about why having an iCloud account is a good idea.
Moreover, iCloud might not be available in all areas and features may as well vary. Also, the iCloud account setup requires an Internet connection to run. So, let’s get to know why you need to set up an iCloud account.
Needs for an iCloud Account Setup
Below are some top benefits of using an iCloud account, even though it’s not an obligation that you have to use one;
- iCloud is fully compatible with all iOS devices as it’s an Apple product
- It helps you to easily store and share your photos, files, apps, docs, etc. with our friends and family.
- With an iCloud account, you can easily locate your lost Apple devices.
- It is central for backing up your data.
- Helps in syncing of your contacts and calendars
- One iCloud account keeps your data updated and synced across all your Apple devices.
These are enough reasons for you to have an iCloud account and also learn how to set up your account. This article is a good place to do that if you read till the end.
iCloud Account Setup for iPhone, iPad, and iPad Touch
There are two formats for an iCloud account setup – the Automatic set up and Manual set up. Below you will find both processes.
For Automatic Setup
1. From your Apple device, [iPhone, iPod, or iPad] go to the Settings Option. Select Accounts and Passwords from the list and then click on Add Account option. But if you use a device with version 10.3.3 or earlier, you will need to go through: Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account.
2. Next, select your email provider and enter your iCloud email address and password as will be shown on the next screen. Perhaps you don’t see your email service provider on the list then you will have to use the Other option to add your account manually.
3. After entering your iCloud email address and password, click on the Next button and wait for your account to be verified successfully.
4. When the verification is done, you can choose important information you would like to sync on your device from your email accounts such as Calendars and Contacts.
5. After the synchronization, click on the Save Button to complete your iCloud account setup successfully.
For Manual Setup
Before you proceed to set up your iCloud account manually, make sure you know the email settings of your account. But if you don’t, you will need to contact your email service provider. So, for your manual iCloud account set up, kindly follow the steps below;
1. From the Settings option on your device, select Accounts and Passwords option then click on the Add Account option. Remember, if you have a device version of 10.3.3 or earlier, you will need to go through Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account.
2. On the next screen, click on the Other option and choose Add Mail Account option
3. Now, you will have to key in your name, email address, password, and a description of your iCloud account.
4. When you click on the Next button, Mail will start to find the email settings to enable the completion of the setup. Once the Mail finds your email settings, click on Done.
5. Meanwhile, if Mail didn’t find your email settings, then you can enter the details manually as will be shown below; Click Next on your device to proceed.
6. Select IMAP or POP option for your new account. But in case you are confused about which one to select among the two, please contact your email service provider.
7. Provide the details for the Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server and click Next
8. If you got the email settings information correctly, click the Finish button.
At this point, your iCloud account will be set up on your iOS device perfectly.
How to Set Up iCloud Account on Mac
If you want to set up your iCloud account on Mac, make sure that your Mac device is running with the latest version, OS X. Now follow these steps, if you certify this requirement for your iCloud account setup on Mac;
1. Firstly, check if any update is available on your system by going to the Apple Menu on your Mac and select Software Update option
2. If there are any update and you are done with it, go the System Preferences option located under Apple menu
3. Click on the iCloud option and key in your Apple ID. Then select the services which you would activate in your account.
4. Click on the Options button next to Photos option to enable iCloud Photo Library, iCloud Photo Sharing, and My Photo Stream option.
5. Also, if you wish to enable iTunes automatic downloads, then you will need to open iTunes and select the Preferences option. Now, click on the Downloads option and select Music, Movies, Apps, and TV Shows.
6. Finally, Hit the Ok button when you finish!
So, these are the steps you can follow to set up your iCloud account successfully on iOS and Mac devices.
Easy Right? Leave your comments below!